Pleased to announce my latest plugin, Theme Switcha, now available as a free download from the WordPress Plugin Directory. Theme Switcha makes it easy to test and develop themes while visitors continue to use your default theme. And you if want to enable your visitors switch themes from the front-end, you can do it by adding a shortcode to any WP Post or Page. It’s theme switching done right.
How it works
Let’s say that you want to develop or preview a new theme on your site. You install and activate Theme Switcha, and then visit the plugin’s settings page. There you can set a few basic options and then switch to any theme from the streamlined, informative UI. Here is a screenshot:
After clicking on a theme’s thumbnail, it will be your active theme, while all other users and visitors continue using the default theme. So you can test, preview, and develop privately behind the scenes. Then if you want to share the theme with another user, you can send them a passkey link that will enable them to switch themes. And if you want all visitors to be able to switch themes from the front-end, Theme Switcha provides several shortcodes to make it happen.
Theme Switcha is loaded with features:
- Enables you to develop new themes while visitors use the default theme
- Control who can switch themes (admins, users with passkey, or everyone)
- Administrators can switch themes directly via the WP Admin Area
- Enable visitors to switch and preview themes on the front-end
- Each visitor can choose their own theme
- Send preview links to clients via the passkey
- Choose your own custom passkey code for preview links
- Set the duration (cookie timeout) for switched themes
- Enable/disable theme preview in the Admin Area
- Enable/disable all theme switching without deactivating the plugin
- Provides several shortcodes to enable visitors to switch themes
- Shortcodes display themes as a list, select menu, or thumbnails
- Changed options are saved when working on switched themes
- Simple, stylish UI featuring screenshots of each theme
- Works with any theme, parent themes and child themes
Theme Switcha makes it easy for the site admin to preview and develop new themes without changing the default theme. So visitors will continue to use your site normally without ever knowing that you are testing new themes behind the scenes. And if you want to enable your visitors to switch themes, you can do that as well by adding a shortcode to any WP Post or Page. Then each visitor will be able to select and preview any of your WordPress themes.
Theme Switcha is useful for things like:
- Maintenance mode – display a temporary theme to visitors while you update your primary theme
- Theme test drive – preview and test new themes without disrupting anything on the frontend
- Theme development – perfect for developing new themes to fit your existing site content
- Client presentations – send clients special “theme preview” links to show off new templates
The beauty of Theme Switcha is that it’s all 100% transparent: visitors will never know that you are hard at work testing and building new themes behind the scenes.